Friday, January 28, 2011

Story of the Day 11/08/06

This is not the first Story of the Day that I wrote, but it is the first one that I saved. Back in the dark ages of man ( 2005-2008) I used to just send the stories out as emails to friends. This was good because I would get wonderful stories back from them (for some reason, the blog doesn't encourage or inspire that that), but it was also bad because the stories would end up in odd places and cause my children embarrassment. Anyhow, this is the first one that I saved :


Some days are more entertaining than others....
My beloved 15 yr old son, Aaron, called the Marion County Public Library , today.
I was near him and heard some of the conversation.
He let the person on the other end of the telephone know that he is a "frequent user' (his phrase) of the BJE library, and picks up his reserved materials there, account- it shows up on line, but not on the BJE's Library-linked computer. He let the woman on the phone know that he had tried to pay the fine at the BJE- but they couldn't do it. So, he had finally given Mrs. Rosenfeld the $6 and she would be sending it to the Public Library with the "shit-load."
I had a moment of surprise- I looked over at Aaron who was hanging on the phone- he then told her that he hoped this money would be credited to his account when it was sent with "the ship-load." The difference in pronunciation, which I don't hear well enough to discern just by hearing, was apparent when I saw his face when he said it.....I tried very hard not to start laughing.
The conversation went on for another few minutes, and he again referred to the "ship-load".
After Aaron got off the phone I explained to him that there are two terms: "shit-load" and "Ship-ment" and that one was polite and the other wasn't. Of course, being deaf , he couldn't have known that the word he had learned was "shit-load" when his brain had filled in the missing sounds to what was logical to him. (He had apparently not figured that the person using the term was swearing.) (My brain does the same thing, so I understood what had happened.)
Anyhow he then said to me" Oh, that would explain the long silence from the Library lady."
Smile.
I hope your day is filled with humor.

No comments: