Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Story of the Day 2/ 14/ 2012

Timing is everything.

I dont' have it.
Thats is why I spent quite a while on the internet, at 11 PM, yesterday night, trying to find a pair of handcuffs.
I need them today.
Today happens to be February 14th, which is Valentine's Day.

And I need those handcuffs.

At 11 PM, the only store that is open is Walmart.
Well, the only store that is likely to have handcuffs.
I had already checked on-line and Target doesn't' carry them, nor does CVS.
WalMart does, but they will not tell you which stores actually have them in stock.
So, I was dialing...calling one of the two Walmart stores which happens to be less than 20 mints from my house.
The guy who answered the phone was very friendly.
I gave him the stock number for the handcuffs; I had gotten this from their website.

"Sorry, we don't' have those in stock."
"Can you tell me if any other area stores have them?'
He could, he can, he will.
"The store in Carmel ( only 90 streets north and a dozen east) has 6 pairs."
Six pairs?
Figures.
Carmel is the city just north of us. The sign name for it is a "C" signed in the same way that you sign the word " snob".
I like sign language. It can be very descriptive.
I am not looking forward to driving up to Carmel.
At 9 AM,today, which is now Valentine's Day, I am meeting a couple of friends for coffee.
I will be taking my cell phone and a list of the Dollar Tree stores in the area. Maybe one of them has handcuffs in stock.
After all, I am only looking for a pair of toy handcuffs. Metal ones, but toy ones.

I also, last night, at roughly 11:30 PM, emailed two friends.
"Do you have a pair of handcuffs?"

One fried emailed me back rather promptly. They have a real pair of them, in the attic. My friend's husband used to be in the military police.....but it might take them a couepl of weeks to find them.....

The other friend emailed me back.
She was disappointed in me.
Not because I asked for them. And ,no, she didn't' have a pair, despite having 3 boys.
She was disappointed because I told her what they were for. She would have preferred to have imagined.....
You see, I need those handcuffs by early this afternoon.
They are to be a prop in a video my daughter is filming at school.
They have to look real.
And she only told me she needed them, yesterday evening.

But timing is everything, and it happens to be Valentine's Day, today.
And until my friend told me that I had spoiled her ....vision, it didn't' occur to me what people might think I needed them for.
Desperately.
Today.
For Valentine's Day.

No comments: