Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Story of the day 2/ 18/ 2012

Another weekend.
Except that this one is a long, 3 day holiday weekend. Monday happens to be President's Day and my husband and daughter have off from work and from school.

My husband, who tends to be an optimist, had this wonderful, rosy vision of the three of us doing something together. He even voiced this thought, twice.
Once, last night at dinner, and once, today. Today was after services, this morning.

Since we can't do much during our Sabbath, ( and since I thought it would be nice if I made a vague attempt to come off as a supportive wife,) after our Sabbath was over, I dragged my husband down the hall to my daughter's bedroom so we could discuss actually doing something together, this weekend.
You know,discuss it BEFORE Monday evening, when the weekend is over. Since I will probably manage to forget my husband's birthday, which is coming up rather soon, I figured that this display of spousal support might help to redeem me.
You are wondering how I will manage to forget his birthday which is in only about 8 days, since I have just mentioned it?

Well, if you are wondering this, you do not know me very well. You see, it is like Father's Day.
Two years ago, for Father's Day, I bought him this really great card. I mean, it was perfect. It was funny. But in a nice way. And I got him a small but thoughtful gift.
I made the terrible mistake of doing this an entire month in advance. And I wrapped up the gift and stuck the card to it, and haven't seen it since then.
So on Father's Day, I had this terrible feeling of panic, as I searched and searched. I did much too good a job of hiding it, and still, despite cleaning twice for Passover between then and now, have not uncovered it.

And do not think that is the ONLY time I have done such a thing.

This is why my husband is really good at getting a birthday card from me in November. He is actually truly impressed that I finally found it, although, you can never be sure which year it was from.

So, we are all standing there ,awkwardly, in Sarah's room, except that only Larry is standing. Sarah is lying on her bed, and I am sitting on it. and Sarah says, " Why don't' we just not do anything. We are introverts."
And my husband says,"Well, i would like to read, and take a walk, and write." Except for the middle activity , which involves going around the block a few times, his list of activities takes place in our dining room.
What happened to my husband's suggestion from a day ago? From early today, even?

"We could get movie? We could go to the book store!" I am still trying to be supportive. I mean, that must be why I am suggesting these activities, since my preferred list takes place on the family room sofa. I want to read.

My husband and my daughter look at me like I have lost my mind.
They vote to just stay home, and not to bother with the movie.

I suppose I will work on my husband's Birthday card.
I mean the part before I lose it.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

None of this is news to me, but it's still fun to read. Too bad it wasn't warm outside, or you could have not played miniature golf!

Cassia Margolis said...

True! At least, you try to be understanding when you come and visit and we do nothing...except feed you.