Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Story of the Day 1/ 25/ 2012









I am not so sure I should be allowed to be typing on the computer, right now. You see, we are in the midst of a crisis.

My family, the part of it that is living here on Golf Lane , all seem to be having a flare up of ...flare ups with all sorts of sensitive electronic gadgets.

Yesterday, after dinner, my husband decided to warm up something. I have no idea what. I had already eaten and had washed the dishes and moved to the family room, and then i heard some sort of cry of alarm; and my husband lets me know that the microwave has decided to take on a life of its own.

I must have looked a bit dumbfounded. Okay, more than my usual dumbfounded, because he explained that the microwave had started to flash.

I had a fleeting image in my head of a microwave with a raincoat and a penis, but then realized he meant something more mundane.

I looked at the now empty microwave, with the door slightly ajar and 56 of the 60 seconds still showing. I closed the door and pushed start.

The microwave started flashing. You know how those things light up while the tray rotates and the food heats? Well, forget lights up- this was numerous watts brighter than what the microwave usually does, and it was in bits and spurts- rapid bits and spurts.
I pushed stop after a bare 5 seconds, and then unplugged the thing from the surge protector.

Normal people have their fancy large screen TVs and their computers on surge protectors. Okay, we do , too, but we also have a slew of smaller appliances on them. That's because it is a pain in the butt to go around unplugging them, all the time; and I don't like vampires. You know, electricity vampires- those appliances that keep sucking up electricity when you are not using them.

Of course, some vampires are not vampires, because they are essential, like our smoke detectors, or the alarm clock, because who in the heck has a watch and the patience to reset it every evening?
Then there are the air purifiers scattered throughout the house and often running when the rooms are empty. But since I like to be able to breathe at the time I enter the room, and not have to wait 15 minutes before I can safely take a breath.....
Anyhow, i unplugged the microwave from the surge protector and moved it, so it would not be used by accident. Like, by someone who doesn't want to deal with our somewhat finicky toaster and wants a warm english muffin with butter, or someone who.....

Then I had to think.
Yes, it was rather painful.
But , as you can see, I survived it, as evidenced by the fact that i am writing this Story.
I thought.
And I thought.
And I wondered if the microwave was under warranty.
And, then, I realized that it was.
Fortunately for my holy memory...whoops, i mean holey memory, there is Passover. there is "before Passover" and "after passover" and "just before Passover". If you had to clean your house for Passover, you would also think of things using this same calendar. At any rate, this microwave is from just after Passover, because I didn't' have to clean it for Passover, last year, and I have awful memories of the old microwave dying right after i cleaned it. A wasted effort, although, it had been dying for a while, and I had just been a bit too lazy to deal with getting a new one.
My memory for what i have needed to clean is good. Just don't' ask me where my car keys are.
At any rate, nice it is still while until Passover, i knew that the microwave was less than year old. And still under warranty.
So, I got the owner's manual out of the drawer and called their customer support.

After numerous very uninteresting minutes of punching this number or than number, a person who sounded to be about 14 years old answered.
I explained the problem.
"Do you have the receipt?"
"No. Because i sent it in for a rebate. I also sent in the registration card."
Luckily, they actually had a record of it.
So did I, one of my weird attributes is writing down the date I mail rebate forms on the fronts of owner's manuals. not that i would ever check, but......
"So it was sparking?"
Sparking is this thing microwaves do when you leave a spoon in your coffee cup and try to reheat your coffee. It also creates an awful smell. I know this because my previous backyard neighbor's mother did this , on occasion, when she was over there. It led to a few visits from the fire trucks, because it has also caused her elderly motor to panic.
That kind of excitement, we can live without.

"No, it was flashing." And I described the wonderful light show.

" Was it plugged into an appropriately wired socket?"
I have lived in some interesting older ...places. You could cal the "Perry Palace" with the front steps sliding off the front of the building a lot of things, but I am not sure what. But that wasn't the problem in this situation.
"The house is 14 years old. It is plugged into the kitchen socket via a surge protector because of the electronic vampires."
Yes, I actually said that.
There was a moment of silence.
I realized the man now thinks I am schizophrenic and have forgotten to take my medication and my microwave may have some very interesting flashing lights that only I can see. And he is checking his computer to make sure that Indianapolis is VERY far away from her call center.......

I hurriedly add, "I dont' like to pay for electricity that we didn't use, or didn't' use for anything, and it is bad for the environment."
I bet you are glad you were not taking this call for that company.

Another pause.

" Was there any damage to anything in the vicinity?"
"No."
"Was anyone hurt?"
"No. Just scared a bit."
"Someone will be contacting you and coming out to get the unit within the next 7 days. Please do not use the unit , in the meanwhile."
" I promise you, we will not! We will not even plug it in!"
He is talking to someone who is scared of electronics vampires. Does he really think I am gonna plug that thing in again and use it?
And that was yesterday evening.

This morning, in pre-calculus, Sarah had a test.
She pull out her handy-dandy calculator. A TI-83.
When she took Geometry, we had to buy her a fancy graphing calculator to replace the expensive calculator we had to buy her when she took Algebra.
Dont' you wish the math teachers would get together and not make us buy a new calculator every year?
But she never bonded with that graphing calculator, so she has been using the "old" one.
She turned it on.
And it started acting like it was doing drugs.
As Sarah has explained to me, normally, when a calculator dies, it dies. It doesnt' turn on, or it does but then turns off.
This lets you know that either it or the batteries are deceased. It is, obviously, less of a pain if it is the batteries. And , because of this, Sarah usually carries an extra set.
But, this calculator didn't' die.

Instead, without anyone touching the keys, it started flashing different numbers, and I don't' mean single little lone digit numbers.
This thing was having very nice party all by itself.

Sarah put her hand up; she explained to her teacher that her calculator wasn't working.
Her teacher took the calculator from her,and he had the same experience. He wasn't touching any keys and the calculator was having a real nice time playing with itself.
"Oh Goodness! Oh Goodness!"
Sarah had never heard him use that expression before. Well, she has never heard him do anything, because she is deaf; but she has also never had the terp tell her that he said anything at all like that.
She was startled.

Then he said, "Oh Goodness! Oh Goodness!"
Again.

Now Sarah was staring at him, and so were most of the other students. All of the ones that were awake.
This may have been his version of an incantation.
If so, it didn't work.
This may have been his version of'What the fuck!"
In which case, it is obvious that his mother raised him better than mine raised me.
Although, even without meeting him, you had probably guessed that since that describes a good 98% of the population. At least, the ones that are not behind bars.
Or in bars.
Or something.

So, Sarah brought it home for me.
Sans an incantation that works.
And I have to go out and get her a new one, tomorrow.
Despite the fact that i am ill.
Feverish, headachy and fat. I mean congested.
Okay, fat , too, but that is just the normal state of affairs.

She has also informed me, just before she started getting ready for bed, to go get a microwave.
She is the english muffin eater, you see.
I dont' know about that. About the microwave, that is. I do know about the english muffins.
And I also don't' know what device will go next. Go flashing or partying or frolicking around doing things it was not meant to do.

I do know,however, that my husband had his turn with the electronic jinx, last night.
Sara had hers, this morning, so it is probably my turn, now.

I am hoping it will not be the computer, which actually is under warranty.
or the car, which isn't. or at least, most of it isn't.
The only thing I am sure of, is that i won't' be using the math teacher's incantation.

I will be using a different one.
And hopefully small impressionable children will be out of ear-shot.


(note: after 4 cups of coffee, and setting the microwave up on a 10 ft. extension cord, and the camera also at a safe distance, we took the video......please note, this is a clear sign that I should never be allowed to drink 4 cups of coffee.)

10 comments:

Terri Friel said...

For many years I have been unable to wear watches. they will work for a couple of days and then quit. Never to revive. At work I'm usually pretty good with using computers, but I have a remote keyboard and screen. When I type on this computer, stray activity happens, like whole sections of text will suddenly highlight and delete, as I'm typing words, and no recovery efforts will retreive them...like undo or paste etc. It's all suddenly just gone. or the cursor will suddently skip to a new part of the text and start typing in the middle of the words I've already typed. At Pepsi, years ago, I was told to stay away from all computers because everytime I used them, weird things would happen, like the screen would go all green suddenly or programs would go missing or wouldn't start for me. I've found that remote keyboards and screens solve some of the problem. I think some of us just have magnetic fields that are very strong that affect electronic devices. Maybe I'm a vampire? One like you use surge protectors to avoid? Wonder if my magnetic field could be harnessed for something useful?

Lynne said...

Props for shout-out to Perry Palace!
Can't wait to go home & watch the video.

Cassia Margolis said...

Terri- U have problem with the digital watches? I can't use the windups- when digitals came out, I cd......Maybe u cd fix broken ones? Smile.
Yep, Lynne.....

Cassia Margolis said...

And, Lynne, no one wd believe those stories.......smile

DaCanon said...

Love the story - very funny and entertaining, thank you. With that said...

Sounds like a stress fracture somewhere within the unit's cooking core, exposing metal somewhere. Even the smallest of scratches on any part of the inner walls can cause exposure to the inner working of the unit. These abrasions can cause radiation "arcs". (This, btw, is why the owner manuals recommend not using "harsh abrasives" or chemicals when cleaning the inside of the units - helpful tip #327). The more a microwave is used with these "micro-abrasions", the wider the flaw will eventually become, creating an arc. Unseen "stress fractures", during the manufacturing process could also be the underlying cause of these arcs, with you (the consumer) realizing it.

Oops - I did it again... Sorry! I didn't mean to impose my words like a know-it-all, it's just that I can't help myself to be analytical of things like this... I'm a nerd (in disguise as a biker chic).

Or... You could always trying hanging garlic around your electrical outlets. ;-)

Good luck. :-)

DaCanon said...

Oops - I meant, "with you (the consumer) NOT realizing it". :-)

Cassia Margolis said...

Smile, I knew what you meant . I am the queen of the typos.
I clean with water and dishwashing soap. I can never afford to replace my counters - granite- , so I am very careful. The counter-tops are courtesy of my ex-employer who didn't pay me. The one Bill went after for back wages. Since getting the money took a few years, and I never thought I wd get it, I got new counter-tops.
Incidentally, my old boss was the State of Indiana......

I also checked for an abrasion ( those can also be caused by the containers u reheat in scraping the sides. It looked pristine, which doesn't' mean it was. However, there was none of that smell that u get when metal is in the microwave. Wouldn't there have been that odor?

Cassia Margolis said...

I also like the idea of a nerd in biker -chic.
I am a nerd in clothes with paint on them. smile. Not nearly as stylish!

DaCanon said...

Nerds unite!!! LOL.

I wish I could give you an honest answer to your question but the sad truth is, I am not an exert, I just play one on the internet :-) Logic, tho, would tell me "yes", that awful metal smell would be present.

I remember reading about your back-pay adventures... nice way to apply that $$ - and granite too huh?? Nicely done. :-)

Cassia Margolis said...

Yeah, well, the money was back pay from as far back as 3 1/2 yrs before I saw it. Some from only 2....They owed me more than I got, but it was still more than enough for the countertops...of course, I picked one of the least expensive granites, and the kitchen is small. Smile. BUT I am enjoying it mightily. My eldest, Ely, learned to cook by ignoring my many admonitions to use a cutting board, and trivets, and..............
And I think that being nerd is preferable to the alternatives!
Bill, the lawyer, is his own series of stories. I keep telling people that when I grow up , I want to be Bill. And they look at me like I have lost my marbles. He is always volunteering for everything. Including weeding, cleaning up the cemetery, putting up walls for Habitat for Humanity. You can absolutely trust anything he says. He only works part-time, nowadays, since he is 80 and likes to golf and all of that.
I also owe him a kidney. years ago, when we were having problems with the deaf School , he went to bat for us and never charged us a cent ( really good because it was complicated Civil rights stuff) and it was only because of him that we were able to keep our daughter, sarah , enrolled.
I do not know how much u know about deaf issues and deaf education, but Sarah has a disadvantage in that her parents are hearing...despite my hearing ids, and we sign, but as second language users. taking her out of a program that allowed her to interact with people who were truly fluent in ASL would have hobbled her intellectual development. Impoverished language exposure leads to having an impoverished language..and not being literate, etc.
When u stick a kid out in a public school with a terp, you usual get pretty bad language modeling/exposure. If u don't' believe me, look back at some often stories of the day...like April 9, 2010...or the Ruth story....or vertical angles. that was megan so that wd have been....5/7/2010......that was ruth. megan was after that. some poor deaf kid now has her. sigh.
As bad as it is to get stuck with one of those terms when u r a fairly literate teen is one thing, to have that as ur entire language model...well, damages the kid educationally.
Anyhow, I also married to an adorable nerd, and the mother of some others. Smile.