Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Story of the Day 3/ 23/ 2012 #3

Our Friday evening dinners tend to be rather simple.
Many Jewish families go all out on Friday night: soup, salads ( yes, more than one), an appetizer, perhaps some fish, the main course of meat and a vegetable and a potato or rice or both, and then dessert.
This is in addition to fresh challah and wine.
Of course, there are the vegetarians, and the people who are into fancy French cooking or Chinese, but, at any rate, dinner is usually quite a feast.
At our house, there is the reality of me being the cook.

Dinner is challah and grape juice. Okay, my husband usually has wine, while the rest of us have grape juice.
And there is no soup, and no salad, and I have managed to cook wild rice, and salmon and roasted asparagus.
i did cut up some nice organic pears, so we can pretend that was a fruit salad.
And we ate in the dining room on the sort of good china ( dishwasher safe, and we only have dinner plates, because who would really want to wash the rest of that stuff) and cloth napkins and a table cloth, and my husband is still dressed nicely from synagogue, but Sarah and I are in our pajamas.

In other words, it was a typical Margolis-Greenbaum dinner.
Including the fact that I had made dessert, as well as having at least 6 different chocolate options. Organic fair-trade with raisins and almonds, organic not labelled fair trade dark truffle, organic.....
I may not be a good Jew in terms of making a fancy multi-course meal, but i have my priorities straight. There is ALWSY lots of dessert.

And don't' worry, the cookies I had made were also chocolate.

And they were very good.

I knew this before we even got to dessert because I had already snitched three of them when they came out of the oven. okay, maybe 4.

I told my husband," I did something a little different, this week, the cookies are really good. can you guess what i added?"

Larry tasted one.

There was a pause and then he said, "You didn't burn them?"

Apparently, he must think that is what improved the taste.
It took me a moment to respond, I had to process this. He had a point, but it was really not the answer I was looking for.....

"No, I always burn them, I am talking about something different that I added to them."

6 comments:

Lynne said...

coconut?

Cassia Margolis said...

Remember , it is just before Passover.
It was the broken salty crumbs from the bottom of the bag of pretzels......

Lynne said...

you're so weird

Cassia Margolis said...

You are just noticing , now?

Terri Friel said...

I prefer to think of you as unique and curious Cassia. And despite your "humble pie" description of food at your house, there is always some er unique concoction of vegetables or something that is leftover and added to or something that goes along with the simple stuff you describe. Dinner never seems as limited as you imply in this blog. It's always an adventure to eat at your house and I love that!

Cassia Margolis said...

Terri- u need to make friends with some more religious jewish folk- the friday night dinners are course after course after course, then u wd see who paltry our offering are! but u r sweet!