Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Story of the Day 3/ 23/ 2012 #4

I speak quickly.

Numerous times , interpreters will tell me they can't follow what I am saying to interpret for me, and can I please slow down.
I've even had school personnel ask me to slow down because they cannot listen as quickly as I speak.
I am sometimes asked if i am from New York.
Apparently, New York is famous for its fast-speaking natives.

As it happens, my daughter has a teacher, this semester, who is also a fast speaker.
The school had to get a different typist, because the ones they had couldn't type fast enough to keep up with her lectures.
Even the one they are now using is struggling mightily.
And the interpreter looks, oft times, like she is struggling to run uphill in a marathon race.

I have wondered if people keep asking this teacher if she is from New York.
They probably do.

But she isn't.

Like me, she grew up in a relatively small city in the midwest.
The same one I am from.......

3 comments:

Cassia Margolis said...

Not the terp, the teacher. The terp is from Chicago...she speaks more slowly. Smile.
And I think she went to the same HS as my dad!

DaCanon said...

Like me, she grew up in a relatively small city in the midwest.
The same one I am from.......

Something must be in the water. :-D

Cassia Margolis said...

Actually, I think it was the air...we were both growing up when the tire and rubber factories were spewing...smile.