Sunday, August 3, 2008

Story of the Day 8/03/2008 #2

Story of the Day 8/3/08 #2

I was picking Aaron up from OLAB.
No, a couple of weeks ago, not today- but I said I would get back to this. And I am trying!
OLAB is that business course he was at for a week, at Wabash College.

I had come to pick him up on Friday. The program really wasn’t over until Saturday afternoon- but we ran into the typical Jew-problem that because of Shabbat, it was pick him up early or leave him to be homeless and untended in a strange town until 11 PM on Saturday night, when Shabbat was not only over, but we had managed to drive out and locate him after the end of it.
So, since we kind of like the kid, we opted to pick him up on Friday afternoon.

Only it wasn’t just me. Sarah came along to pick him up, and she was very enthused at seeing this fancy college that her brother had been at all week.

We meet him just outside the dorm, as planned, and he rushes us inside and grabs up his suitcase, and, as he is desperately rushing us out of there- he says, “ Hurry, we have to get out of here quickly!”

And I am wondering, “What in the fuck did he do?”
And Sarah is wondering why he won’t show her anything.

“Please, Mom, I don’t’ want to have to talk to anyone!”

And I am worried about what sort of a terrible week he had.


But his plea to heaven was not heeded, and several very friendly guys stopped us wanting to say good-bye to him.

As we are driving back, my son tells me,” It was awful! I was popular!”
Poor Aaron, he’d had a little too much of this unexplained change in his social status and was desperate to go back to being…well, whatever he normally is.

And, he has spent the past couple of weeks dreading the daily deluge of postings to his facebook account from the people he met…….

Wow, I never imagined it could be so bad.
But, don’t worry, a couple of weeks back with us and he is unpopular, again.

No comments: