Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Story of the Day 11/04/2008

Larry came home, as Sarah was eating her breakfast.

He had left the house a little early, hoping to be in line and able to vote , when the polls opened. Dire predictions of heavy voter turnout had him worried about being late to work.

When he arrived, before the polls opened, there was a decent sized line.
Unlike years when he has been able to walk right up , this took an entire 15 minutes of waiting.
In this era of “who in the Fuck are you?” We now have to show a valid photo ID to vote. Either a driver‘s license , or a State issued ID.
And we have to do this twice, in order to vote (, once when we walk in and once when we sign the book , even though the two workers are seated almost next to one another, and they can’t have missed the fact that you showed the ID already to the first worker. )

When Larry handed the young woman his ID, she said,” Are you related to Aaron Margolis-Greenbaum?”
“I am his father.”
“Oh, I love Aaron!”

Needless to say, Larry felt the 15 minute wait was worthwhile.

I was a bit torn.
I couldn’t’ go to vote at 6, since I was getting Sarah ready to go off to school.
The newspaper advised voting between 9 and 3 - the quietest time.
Larry hadn’t experienced a long wait…so maybe earlier was better? But, maybe it would be deluged with people headed into work……
Should I wait?

But I was dressed and very ready, so I left the house shortly after her bus did.

I had to walk through hordes of canvassers- two young kids- maybe 8 or 9, outside, and 8 more ( all adults) in the entryway and lobby at the JCC. Then, down the hall to the voting area.
Where, there was no one in line.
There were two people standing at the voting booths - 2 of the 4 voting booths, but not even one body standing at the table to check in , in front of me.

I handed in my ID, and the young man said to me, “Are you related to Aaron Margolis-Greenbaum?”
And I said, “Yes.”
And he said, “Oh, I love Aaron.”

So, my entire 45 second wait was worth it!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

I went at 8:30 & waited 1 hr. I saw this yr there is another Lieberman in the twp, and he lives in our neighborhood, so that was worth my wait!
Joe went at 7 and couldn't get into the parking lot. He's going to leave work at 1:30 and try again.
So when Aaron starts voting, are all the poll workers going to hug him?