Friday, November 21, 2008

Story of the Day 11/21/2008

It gets more interesting.

I called the DOE , today, for clarification.
The Deaf School is saying we now have to convene a case conference to add the measurable transition goal(s).

I had thought that under the new regulations Sarah’s TOR (teacher of Record, a very reasonable guy named Gary) and I , and hopefully, Sarah, as well, could sit down and do it sans havinga full case conference committee.
Well, according to the DOE , we can.


But this is where it got interesting.
The man at the DOE was confused by what the Deaf School had sent me and why. So I read it to him. I offered to Fax it, sicne he was still confused.
I did , and he called me back.
It is “irregular”, what they are doing. Not against regulations, but “irregular”.
It is also not going to meet the new requirements.


Why?
Well, they collected the information about Sarah wanting to attend college and work for the CIA, but , in the section for “ Annual Goals” - and for “Transition Services and Activities” they left two big blank spaces.
In other words, they did not send me a measurable goal to approve or disapprove- despite what the cover letter said.


Now, the $64,000 question is, did they do this with all of the kids?
The betting odds will be….

No comments: