Monday, May 2, 2011

Story of the Day 4/28/2011

So, I happen to have a couple of deaf kids.
They are not a matched set. There is Aaron who wears hearing aids and tries to pass. And there is Sarah who would be offended if someone thought she was hearing.
Okay, I am lying, Aaron stopped trying to pass several months ago, when he was getting in touch with his inner deaf-identity. But I am an old mother, and I am still living in the dark ages, so I still talk to him, including in the car when he hears me even less well with his bionic ears. I mean hearing aids.

Of course, he started it. He asked me when our house fire was. “1996?”
“Yes, October 30th, 1996.”
“October 38th?”
I told him that being deaf was not an excuse to think that October could have 38 days.
He replied, “Not even in a leap year?”

Then Sarah came home, and announced that she has plans for this evening.
She wants to attend the orchestral performance at her high school.
She wants to go and watch. I mean, she didn’t say that, but since none of the instruments is as loud as a grenade, she certainly isn’t going to go to listen.

I think I need a Tylenol. The extra strength kind.

During dinner, she asked me, “ Am I right that orchestral music has no words?”
“Yes.”
“But then how can people enjoy it?”
I replied, “That is a very Deaf question.”


Forget about the Tylenol, I am going for the Advil bottle.

1 comment:

hjkhjhkj said...

I love your sense of humor in such a challenging situation. It sounds like your kids don't feel like they have a disability and that is wonderful. I'm sure that is due to how you've raised them. I find that very inspiring. I am going through some physical challenges myself and could use that kind of refreshing perspective. http://phoenixrachelle.blogspot.com/