Friday, May 13, 2011

Story of the Day 5/11/2011

When I arrived home, yesterday evening, my husband asked me if I had been on a major shopping spree.

During the almost 12 hours I spent locked up as a juror (okay, I am exaggerating, I wasn’t locked up while they had us fill out paperwork and explained about cheap parking lots), someone had gone out and used our Discover card to buy several laptops, and other expensive items.

Actually, I should have queried him about it, since they were using his name, but I had missed the slew of phone calls from companies calling to verify the purchases.
However, I have not missed them, entirely. This morning, I have already received three calls, each about another laptop purchase.

The last phone call was from a very pleasant woman at Toshiba. I didn’t even know that they sold laptops.
Well, they do.
She let me know that the order was from outside the country. The IP address that the person ordering connected from is in Ghana.

Our charge cards get around a heck of a lot more than we do.

I forgot to ask her if the laptop was supposed to be shipped to Ghana.

Anyhow, this helpful lady told me to go on-line and check my credit report and make sure no new charge cards had been opened. Of course, since the perpetrators have been using my husband’s name, I had to commit my own type of identity theft and pretend I was him to check his credit history. Hopefully, he will not report me to the authorities. I had enough of our local court system, yesterday.

On the other hand, if he does, it will probably get me out of serving jury duty, in the future.

No comments: