Monday, September 19, 2011

Story of the Day 9/16/2011

I am the proud new owner of kitchen counters.
Or maybe the proud owner of new kitchen counters, or maybe something else.
At any rate, after 15 years of abuse, and there was a lot of abuse by Ely as he learned to cook and insisted that he had no need for things like cutting boards, I have fancy-shmancy countertop to go in my not very fancy-shmancy kitchen.

The guys arrived only 2 days and 1 hour late, this morning, and it was still morning, so it wasn’t 2 days and 2 hours late, and they worked and worked and griped and worked, in several different languages.
The griping that is.

They may have also worked in several different languages but since the only words I knew that they used in some of those languages were….colorful, I will assume that was griping.

They came in, they went out, they came in, they went out, less of them came in.
Now they were down to 2 languages, one was English.
I know because I recognized ALL of the expletives.

They went out.

They came in.

You can repeat this scenario at least 8 more times. At least.
I need to sweep and mop, and do it a few more times.

Hey, coming and going that much tracks in a lot of dirt!

And then the plumbing guy and his helper showed up and started to work on the sink.
I suppose it does have to be reattached to do this thing called dirty dishes.
Of course, I wouldn’t know since that is Aaron’s job, but let us assume…..

And when they were done,(not the plumbers, because they had just started, but the countertop crew of two,) the one who looked like he isn’t old enough to drink handed me a copy of the invoice.

I had gotten a copy of the invoice when I paid the deposit, and don’t need extra copies of things, since I am a paper-saving-pack-rat who really does not mean ill towards earth’s forests; so I told him, thanks, but I had already gotten the invoice from the office.

And they went out,
but they didn’t’ come back in.

And, about 2 minutes after they went out, I finally realized that they were not coming back in again.
And I hadn’t paid them.

Oh crap- and I only said that in one language.

They thought I meant that I had paid…and I hadn’t, I had just gotten the invoice…..

So I immediately called the phone number on the bottom of the top of the invoice- to have them paged or called or texted to come back to get paid…and it rang, and it rang, and it rang, and then the fax machine answered.

Oh double crap.

So I called the phone number one line up from the fax number(at the bottom of the top of the invoice).

And this time, the phone was picked up promptly by Betsy.
And I explained about the miscommunication.
And , after hanging up with me, she called them.

And then she called me back, and said they didn’t want to come back, because they were at lunch.

And she can’t take my charge card number over the phone.

And even though the plumber is on their invoice, and he is still here, he doesn’t actually work for them and I can’t pay him...and….

Well, someone will have to come back, or wait until next week, because they are not open on Sunday, and soon it will be Shabbat.

But in the meanwhile, I have fancy-shmancy countertops.

And I feel like an idiot.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Mazel tov! Now I have another artificial excuse to visit.
And pardon me, but they were 2 days late, dirty & rude. Don't feel the teensiest bit bad about paying them late. At least you had the weekend to use the kitchen & make sure everything was done correctly.

Cassia Margolis said...

They weren't that dirty, it was just the floor.
And, you needed another reason to come visit? I need to figure out what to do about the back splash. can you come next week or the week after????
What about tomorrow?????

Lynne said...

I couldn't even go to Mesa with Joe. Too much work. :'(

I like tile backsplashes. Pick a mostly-solid color that goes with the granite. I prefer the rough-finish, not smooth.