Friday, September 9, 2011

Story of the Day 9/3/2011

I was sitting I synagogue, this morning, which makes me sound a lot more religious than I am.

That is because I wasn’t sitting in the sanctuary, where the service was being held, I was sitting on a bench in the “book room” with my friend Shawn and we were schmoozing.
Shmoozing is when you talk about all sorts of things, which in this case had simply gotten started because one of us had asked the other how things were going.
And I was wearing these G-d awful, uncomfortable shoes, so I couldn’t even stand for the 2 minutes it should have taken, I had to sit. Shawn, being polite had to sit, and once we were sitting, we really started schmoozing.
So anything that happened after this point was the fault of those G-d awful, uncomfortable shoes.

Shawn is one of the Carmel contingent.
Carmel is this fancy shmancy suburban enclave north of Indianapolis. I live in Indianapolis,, That is why I refer to Carmel as fancy shmancy.
In sign language, the sign for Carmel is the handshape for the letter C in the motion for “stuck up”.
Shawn is not stuck up, but she is definitely a lot of levels up from my abysmally low level of fancy and sophisticated, and that is on top of being gorgeous. I don’t mean me being gorgeous, I mean her being gorgeous.
In fact, she is the sort of gorgeous where heads turn when she walks into the room.
As Carol once said, “half the men at our synagogue are in love with her.” The other half being either gay or legally blind.

I would hate her, except that she also happens to be nice. Drat.

At any rate, we were sitting in the book area and SR came in and exclaimed to Shawn that he hadn’t seen her in a while and he thought that maybe she had gone over to the “Dark Side”.

Shawn asked, “And what is the Dark Side?”

“You know, Christians.”
Shawn replied, “I don’t consider that the Dark Side.”

And I added, “I thought you meant she had started going to the synagogue across the street.”

As he started to leave, Shawn added, “Or maybe you thought I was sleeping with a black guy.”


To which he had no reply.

Possibly, because Shawn is black.

No comments: