Thursday, September 15, 2011

Story of the Day 9/9/2011


the second part of the Story of the Day from 9/2 (#4)





I need to make two things perfectly clear before you read the actual story.

First of all, I am neither making any of this up, nor exaggerating it- although I do not expect you to believe either of those assertions.

Second, the teacher involved happens to be a wonderful, kind person. He is even a good teacher. He is, just like most of us, maybe not totally “with it” about everything. So, please do not judge him based on this thing, because it really would be unfair.

And now for the story:

At dinner, my daughter announced, “Oh, have I got a Story of the Day for you!”

Some days, hearing this, well, seeing this, since she signs, makes me break out in a cold sweat over what awful thing must have befallen my child, that day, but since Sarah said this to me with a smile on her face, I had no such trepidation.
She then told me about her Hebrew class.

Once again, her Hebrew teacher had a video to show.
A video of a Hebrew song.
He had found it on Youtube and he excitedly told Sarah that it was captioned.

Then he told her, “But you can’t read it!”

Sarah’s face showed her confusion over this.

So her teacher explained, “You can’t read it because it is in Korean!”

He started the video playing, and the choral group sang, and sang, and sang.

And there were no captions.

He told Sarah “Wait….wait!”

And, there, on the bottom of the screen, the printed message scrolled across and then no more captions, until, a bit later, the same printed message scrolled across a second time.


And Sarah didn’t have the heart to break it to the teacher that, although she cannot read Korean, she believes (because of the format) that what was actually scrolling across the bottom of the screen was not captions for the song, it was a weather alert/update.

No comments: